(description follows image)
|Manuscript map of the Great Nine Partners Patent|
|Author:||[After] Richard Edsall and Judge Ter Bos|
|Title:||The Great Nine Partners Map No. 4, County Clerk’s Office, Poughkeepsie, N.Y.|
|Published:||Poughkeepsie, [1877 or later]|
|Description:||Manuscript in ink with some watercolor wash on treated linen, 21 3/4”h x 34”w at sheet edge|
|Condition:||Some creases and minor spotting, but otherwise excellent|
|Price:||Sold Inventory: BRM1713|
|A lovely 19th-century rendering of the definitive survey map of the Great Nine Partners patent, an important early New York land grant which included about two-fifths of the Hudson Valley county of Dutchess. Apparently produced for the descendants of one of the original patentees.
The Great Nine Partners Patent was granted in 1697 to nine leading men of English and Dutch descent. It covered several hundred square miles of central Dutchess County, bounded on the west by the Hudson River and Crom Elbow Creek, and on the east by the Connecticut line. It included the modern-day towns (or townships) of Clinton, Pleasant Valley, Stanford, Washington, Amenia, part of Hyde Park and most of Northeast.
The patent was first surveyed and divided among the partners by Richard Edsall in 1734. Edsall platted the patent into three divisions: Each patentee was assigned one of nine narrow lots south of the mouth of Crom Elbow Creek that gave direct access to the Hudson River. The central division (again nine lots) comprises the presumably fertile lowlands between Crom Elbow and Wappinger Creeks, and the eastern division consisted of 36 larger but less-promising upland lots. Disputes with adjoining patents led to a resurvey of both the northern and southern boundaries by Judge Ter Bos in April 1740.
There exists a 1740-41 manuscript map incorporating the results of both surveys (which by an amazing coincidence was handled by this firm in 2010). Offered here is an attractive copy rendered in the late 19th century for descendants of patentee Henry Filkin, with the lots assigned to the Filkins during the 1734 subdivision highlighted in red watercolor wash (For reasons unclear the Filkins are not assigned a lot in the central division.) A long note along the left side provides much information about the family and its history of land ownership in the patent, all copied from various historical sources. The last date cited is 1877.
Isaac Huntting, History of the Little Nine Partners (1897). R.A. Davis, “The Little Nine Partners Patent” (at http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~nylnphs/Places/Patent.htm). Petrides Homes, “Nine Partners Patent of 1697” (at http://www.petrideshomes.com/Nine_Partners_Patent_Dutchess_County.html.)
|© 2012 Boston Rare Maps. All Rights Reserved. Web Site Design by Craig Sonnenberg|